Quilting 2-A Little Bit of Everything Sampler
This class is the second in our learn to quilt classes.
Ideally you will have completed our Quilting 1 for the Absolute Beginner Class before enrolling in Quilting 2.
The expectation is that you can cut multiple layers of fabric using a rotary cutter, follow a basic pattern and are familiar with sewing a consistent and accurate 1/4" seam prior to the class. Please speak to Carrie or Amy if you are unsure if this is the right class for you.
This class will lead you through the process of making a sampler quilt that can be as funky or traditional as you like. You'll make a variety of traditional pieced blocks using, along with some applique, and they'll all be assembled into a twin size quilt top. There will be weekly homework assigned to be completed between classes so please factor that into the time commitment for this course.
All of the supplies listed below are available at Quilty Pleasures. If you have any questions about the fabric and/or supplies required, just ask us and we'll be happy to help. We are happy to offer a 10% discount on fabric for the class and a one-time 20% discount on class supplies such as rulers.
Pattern: Will be distributed at your first class
Fabric: Avoid directional prints.
Border, main, and binding: 1.9 m
Light background print: 1.5 m
(5) Coordinating fabrics: 0.5 m each
Note: Fabric for frames, sashing and posts will be chosen once your blocks have been completed.
Steam-A-Seam II Lite fusible web: 0.25 m
Tear Easy stabilizer: 0.3 m
- Sewing machine in good working condition, with all accessories, instruction manual, foot pedal and power cord.
We ask that you bring your machine in prior to the start of the course to have the 1/4" set for you or an appropriate foot ordered, if necessary. Staff
- a new needle (Microtex 80/12)
- 2 full bobbins
- 1/4" foot (Please bring your machine in to the store before the course begins so that staff can fit your machine with the proper foot, or order one for your machine, if needed)
- Thread: 100% cotton 50-wt (Konfetti) in a neutral colour
- Rotary cutter (45 mm) with new blade
- Cutting mat (must be at least 22" in one direction - for use at home, do not bring to class)
- Creative Grids Acrylic ruler: 6.5" x 24.5"
- Creative Grids 12.5" square ruler
- Creative Grids 6.5" square ruler
-Quilt in a Day Triangle Square Up Ruler
- Quilter's Magic Wand
- Frixion pen
- Mary Ellen's Best Press
- Basic sewing kit: Seam ripper, thread snips, etc.
Please wash (cold water) and dry (perma press) all fabrics before class. Do not over-dry or the wrinkles will set! Iron your fabric. Bring all your fabrics to the first class and all your tools and your Mary Ellen's Best Press to your first class. You do not need to bring your cutting mat to class.